About The Project:
This project is fully funded by Natural Resource Canada’s Smart Renewables Electrification Pathways Program. The SREP program provides funding for capacity-building, renewable energy and electrical grid modernization projects from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). This project is through the capacity-building stream of the SREP projects, which aims to support communities to work towards greater energy autonomy and sovereignty while sharing knowledge, establishing skills, and building in-community experiences related to energy. The goals of this project are to:
- Create a Community Energy Plan that is tailored to each community. As a result of this project, and as a step towards becoming more energy-autonomous, each of the six Lac La Ronge Indian Band communities will have developed a Community Energy Plan, establishing a secure energy future vision from the ground up.
- Seek community input and direction through engagement to ensure that the Community Energy Plan reflects the needs of each community.
- Increase the collective community’s understanding of energy and community energy planning, including the topics of energy efficiency, energy conservation, and renewable energy.
- Connect the community energy planning process to the UN’s climate change goals
- Create inclusive opportunities for the entire community to learn about, participate in, and develop skills in community energy planning.
- Help the LLRIB communities achieve greater energy autonomy and sovereignty through the planning of energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy projects.
- Create a recommendation for a Green Housing Policy for future LLRIB homes. Which would include efficiency guidelines and will also provide recommendations to retrofit existing housing to be energy efficient.
Jason Cook-Studer: Project Manager
Juan Portilla: Community Energy Coordinator
Kelsey Sereda-Carlson: Community Energy Coordinator
Hillary Kyplain: Community Energy Coordinator
LLRIB Community Energy Planning Project | La Ronge SK | Facebook
More information about the funding agency:
Building Capacity with the Smart Renewables and Electrification Pathways Program (nrcan.gc.ca)
Open House Event – Informational Posters:
Keeping the Heat In (nrcan.gc.ca)
Ecofitt Website & Catalogue
Energy Conservation Products | Energy Efficiency Products (ecofitt.ca)