(This is a re-advertisement, previous candidates need not apply)
Lac La Ronge Indian Band is now accepting applications for the following term position for the 2021-2022 school year based out of the following schools;
1 (one) Senator Myles Venne School;
School Services Worker
The School Services worker will work collaboratively with the assigned school and community partnering agencies to support children and families that need varying different degrees of support.
Duties (includes but not limited to):
- Identify students who are at risk (deficiencies in certain areas)
- Serve as a liaison with parents/family and the schools and interagencies
- To navigate the intervention system and coordinate the communication between interagencies and the school
- Work with teachers and administration to address truancy, homelessness, abuse & neglect, domestic violence, incarceration, gang activity, substance abuse, mental health & anxiety, teen pregnancy and sexual harassment and assault.
- Work in partnership with community local resources and programs to support students and families;
- Provide life skills training and include a focus on behaviour management.
- Make appropriate onward referrals to partner agencies and identify barriers.
- Engage & build positive and quality relationships on a one to one basis and or as a group
- Promote parent involvement in the school.
- Provided detailed notes, record keeping and report required information monthly to the administration.
- Report any evidence of child abuse, neglect, self-harm, substance abuse or other related issues in accordance to school policy.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with youth, staff, and partnering agencies and maintain strict confidentiality and appropriate boundaries.
- Conduct assessment on the needs of the students and refer to appropriate agencies.
- Conducts regular follow up calls, make home visits with students and families.
- ability to work a variety of shifts to accommodate appointments after school, in the evening and on the weekends.
- travel may be necessary
- Post-secondary education in a human services field or the equivalent or combination of both.
- Good understanding and experience working with children and youth with physical and sensory abilities, cognitive development and emotional stability.
- Knowledge of First Nations and Metis cultures, traditions and family systems
- Understanding of, and experience working with, children and youth, and those transitioning into adult hood.
- Experience supporting youth who are dealing with conflict, violence, abuse, suicide, crisis, addictions, mental health, couch surfing, homelessness, pregnancy, truancy.
- Demonstrate and practice a healthy lifestyle
- Experience working in schools is an asset
- Competency with computer applications
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Professionalism in the areas of punctuality, documentation, organization and phone/email responsiveness
- Participates and contributes to regular staff meetings.
- MUST have Driver’s license
- Ability to provide satisfactory Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check.
Posting date: January 25, 2022 Deadline for applications: Until Suitable Candidate is Found
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume including three (3) professional references (excluding Chief & Council). One of the references must be from your current or most recent Employer, to:
**Note: Your references MUST be people who you reported to and had direct supervisory authority over you. In the cover letter, please indicate permission to contact references**
For further information, please call Robert Whiteman at (306) 425-2478
Since this position is engaged primarily in serving the interests of Aboriginal people, Lac La Ronge Indian Band shall give preference to Aboriginal people who possess the requisite skill sets and experience
LLRIB thanks all interested applicants; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to undergo a criminal record check, and vulnerable sector screening check. Please be advised applications received without the proper documentation may not be considered.